Doctor Pulls Live Worms From Man After He Eats Sushi

In the United Kingdom, the sushi retail market is on fire! It has an estimated net revenue of over $87 million! Sushi may be delicious – but it can also be dangerous.

A man from Portugal, age 32, enjoyed some slices of raw fish served by a Japanese restaurant.

He suffered abdominal pain for about a week after eating the fish and went to the hospital.

worm in stomach
Image Credit: Pixabay

Using an endoscope, the doctors found the source of his discomfort, and it will gross you out! The man had a parasitic worm infection!

Several of the worms had even started to burrow into the lining of his gut – which can be life-threatening!

Raw fish, like Sushi, can contain tiny worms and if eaten cause a condition called anisakiasis (aka herring worm disease).

Loading...
worm in stomach

A severe case of anisakiasis may cause an anaphylactic reaction which could be fatal.

Luckily the doctors were able to remove all of the worms from the man’s gut with a specialized tool, and he soon recovered.

So, the moral of this story is to be careful about eating sushi.

worm in stomach
Image Credit: N/A

According to the CDC, symptoms of anisakiasis include nausea, vomiting, abdominal distension, diarrhea, blood and mucous in stool, mild fever, and abdominal pain.

If that wasn’t enough to scare you – some experts say that people who eat a lot of sushi put themselves at higher risk for mercury poisoning (which can cause heart disease and brain issues like decreased cognitive performance).

worm in stomach
Image Credit: N/A

The best way to prevent anisakiasis is to cook your fish before eating it.

Share away, people.

Loading...